If you love cinnamon rolls, this delicious plantain-based recipe will blow you mind! This recipe makes the perfect dessert, snack or even breakfast but without all the extra processed carbohydrates and sugar from traditional cinnamon rolls which are also delicious!
This recipe was very easy to make and it will forever transform the way you see plantain! All you need are a few ingredients- 1 medium plantain, cinnamon, coconut/brown sugar, peanut butter, honey and oil.
Benefits of plantain
Plantains are a staple across the continent. Plantains are rich in fibre, antioxidants to fight against disease, Vitamin C to support immune function, Vitamin B6 to improve cardiovascular health and moods which makes sense because plantain can boost anyone’s mood! Plantain is absolutely delicious and a long-standing favourite at Best Body Africa!
Tips to avoid disaster
- Use overly ripe plantains that have started blackening to make sure the plantain rolls into shape.
- Have a small skillet or round tray on hand ready to place your rolled up plantains into to create the traditional cinnamon roll tray feature.
All cinnamon rolls need a delicious glaze. Ours is a peanut butter + honey glaze because as we know, peanuts work vey well with plantains! In many parts of the African continent, roasted plantains are eaten with peanuts!
Cinnamon Plantain Rolls
- 2 plantain medium
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 6 tbsp boiling water
- 1 tbsp oil
- Peel your ripe plantains and slice lengthways into 3 strips each to create 6 slices.
- Heat a medium to large sliced skillet on a medium heat and add your oil.
- Add your plantain slices to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes on each side until brown.
- Take out and lay on a board/plate.
- In a bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle on each plantain slice leaving about an inch on one end bare. (This will help the plantain end to stick.
- Roll your plantain slices from one end to the bare end. Place each roll in a small tray to hold together.
- In a bowl, add your peanut butter, honey and hot water. Stir until a medium consistency sauce texture (similar to the traditional cinnamon roll consistency). Add more water if necessary.
- Glaze the tops of your plantain rolls with the peanut glaze!