There couldn’t be a more nutritious breakfast than Ghanaian Tom Brown Porridge. Honestly! Look at what the tom brown mix is made from- yellow corn, millet, guinea corn, groundnuts (peanuts) and soy beans. High in protein fibre and many vitamins and minerals, the health benefits of this local breakfast are endless from its ability to contribute towards heart health, reduce cholesterol and increase brain power.
I added a little twist to this recipe by making it with coconut milk as opposed to just water as is done traditionally. This is of course for the flavour but in addition, coconut milk is one of the most nutritious milks you could consume. Top off with nuts and fruit and you’re in for a tasty and wholesome meal!
You can easily buy the ready-made tom brown mix from the market or a grocery store. If you’re abroad, you can buy from many African/Ghanaian shops.
Coconut Tom Brown Porridge
- 8+ tbsp (heaped) of tom brown mix
- 300ml+ water
- 200ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp brown/coconut sugar
- A pinch of salt
- Mix you tom brown with salt and about 150-200ml water to create a smooth, liquid texture. It should be slightly thick.
- Place 100ml of water and 200ml of coconut milk in a pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add your Tom Brown mixture and stir constantly until it thickens up and bubbles.
- Add your brown sugar to the mixture and stir until combined. Serve with your favourite toppings.
Guys, you have to try this recipe! No joke. Let me know your thoughts on this recipe in the comments section below.