We love a superfood packed porridge and this one will sure not disappoint! Porridge is usually eaten sweet but savoury is the way to go! This dish is protein, fibre and flavour-packed!
What is fonio?
Fonio is an ancient pseudo-grain (part grain, part seed) that has been cultivate on the African continent, namely in West Africa for centuries! It is rich in fibre and is gluten-free. It has a nutty flavour and can be used in the same way as rice, potatoes or other carbs in meals. You can pair fonio with soups, stews, add to salads or make unique creations with it just like we did with this recipe!
Components of fonio porridge
- The fonio porridge base made with fonio, onions, olive oil, water and stock
- An egg for protein
- Avocados for healthy fats and added creaminess for the porridge
- Garlicky, chilli oil topping! Yum!
Savoury Fonio Porridge
- 1/4 cup fonio
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic clove
- 1 egg
- 1 spring onion
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- In a pot, cook chopped onion and 1 chopped garlic clove until soft in 1tbsp oil.
- Add dry fonio and stir for 30 seconds to toast.
- Add 1/2 cup water, salt to taste and boil for 3 minutes.
- For the chilli oil, mix chilli, 1tbsp oil and 1 chopped garlic clove in a bowl. Heat in a pot for 1 minute.
- When fonio is cooked, add stock and cook for a further 2 minutes until desired texture.
- Serve fonio with 1/2 avocado, 1 sunny side up fried egg, chilli oil and chopped spring onion.