Plantain toast? Yes, you heard correctly! We’ve all seen the sweet potato toast trend so why not do it with another sweet, starchy carb- plantain?
This is probably one of the easiest plantain recipes you’ll make in your life. Within 5 minutes, it was ready! We created three different toppings to add some spice and variety to your life- 1.Sweet Peanut & Almond Topping; 2. Avocado Topping (did someone say plantain avocado toast?); 3. Red onion and tomato topping.
Benefits of plantain
Plantains are a staple across the continent. Plantains are rich in fibre, antioxidants to fight against disease, vitamin C to support immune function, vitamin B6 to improve cardiovascular health and moods which makes sense because plantain can boost anyone’s mood! Plantain is absolutely delicious and a long-standing favourite at Best Body Africa!
Tips to avoid disaster
- Use plantains that are firm, yellow and not too ripe.
- Depending on your toaster, you may have to toast the sliced plantains 3-4 times for them to cook fully through.
- Be careful when taking them out of the toaster. They will be hot! Turn your toaster off at the plug and gently lift them out with a knife or fork.
- 1 slice is ⅙ of a plantain
- You can serve with any toppings of your choice! Don’t be afraid to experiment!
Our Topping Recipes (Per 2 slices):
- Sweet Peanut & Almond topping- 1 tbsp peanut butter topped with 2 tsp flaked almonds and a drizzle of 2 tsp honey.
- Avocado topping- ¼ avocado mashed and seasoned with salt to taste, black pepper and chilli powder.
- Red Onion & Tomato Topping- 1 tomato chopped or 5 cherry tomatoes chopped with ¼ red onion chopped.
Plantain Toast (3 Ways)
- 1 plantain
- Peel your plantain
- Slice into 6 pieces by slicing lengthways into 3 strips the slicing each strip in half.
- Place each slice in the toaster and cook for 3-5 minutes until the slices brown and soften. This will take 2-3 turns in the toaster.