It’s not everyday oats! This delicious, creamy millet-based porridge will make you never want to eat oats again!
Millet is a grain commonly eaten all across Africa in porridge form or as a starch to eat with soups and stews. Millet is rich in fibre which makes it excellent for aiding digestion, reducing the risk of colon cancer and reducing blood sugar spikes among other benefits.
- We used coconut milk but you can use any type of milk of your preference
- Instead of tinned coconut milk which can be quite high in fats, you can use light carton coconut milks from brands like Alpro
- You can top with any fruit of your preference. We topped with passion fruit!
Coconut Millet Porridge
- 1 cup millet
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Add millet to a saucepan with water and salt.
- Cook on a medium heat for approx 15 minutes until grains are soft and fluffy.
- Reduce heat, add coconut milk, sweetener, extra water to loosen and stir.
- Top with fruit of choice, shaved almonds and coconut shavings (optional).