These pancakes are made from sorghum, a gluten-free ancient grain popular in African cooking and baobab, a fruit from the African baobab tree.
Baobab contains properties that lower blood sugar, boost the immune system and aid digestion, among other properties. Similarly, sorghum’s high-fibre nature means that it serves as a digestion aid, promotes heart health and reduces inflammation, among other benefits.
Together, these nutritious ingredients create a delicious pancake that’s light, sweet and delicious!
We paired the pancakes with a store-bought baobab and mango spread made by simply crushing and pureeing fresh mango and baobab to create a delicious jam.
Sorghum and Baobab Pancakes
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup baobab powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg large
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup milk or dairy-free milk
- In a large bowl, mix sorghum flour, baobab powder and salt.
- In another bowl whisk egg and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Grease a frying pan with coconut oil and fry the batter to create your pancakes.
- When your pancakes are ready, serve with fresh mango, honey and in our case a mango and baobab mix.