Githeri is a traditional Kenyan meal comprising of beans and corn. This meal is truly underrated and as simple as the ingredients may sound, they come together to make a delicious stew that you will dream about once you finish eating it.
Beans and corn are both high in fibre which help to lower cholesterol, aid digestion and can also contribute towards weight loss goals as they keep you full for longer. They are also packed with vitamins and minerals to contribute towards an overall healthy body .
Different variations of this meal exist across Africa; for example, Nigerians eat a bean and corn porridge called Adalu which is just as delicious. What makes the Kenyan version different, however, is the curry spice used which speaks to the South-Asian influence in the country.
Without further ado, here’s the recipe!
- 1 can kidney beans (drained)
- 1 cup cooked corn/sweet corn
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- Few sprigs coriander leaves
- Chop your onion and bell pepper and add to a pot with oil. Sauté until soft.
- Add your chopped garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add your chilli powder, smoked paprika, curry powder and salt. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add your beans, corn and chopped tomatoes.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle over some coriander leaves and serve with half a plantain and half an avocado.