‘Ghana Salad’ is a well known side dish among Ghanaians with different variations of the recipe depending on your taste. The base ingredients are usually lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, boiled eggs and salad cream. People then create their different versions by adding carrots, sardines, baked beans, pasta, potatoes peas and even tuna!
Altogether, Ghana salad is extremely tasty mainly as a result of the creaminess of the salad dressing and the richness of all the ingredients combined. However, with the creamy dressing and loaded on ingredients, it’s easy for this nourishing dish to turn into a high calorie meal!
I’ve remixed the Ghana Salad before by creating the Lighter Ghana Salad in a Jar. A super light, delicious and portable salad that is sure to fill you up with all the nourishing ingredients!
However, in this recipe, I decided to create a rendition that is more classic and uses a homemade dressing free from sugar and with loads of heart healthy fats! I also chopped the ingredients into smaller and thinner pieces. Personally, I don’t enjoy salads when vegetables are chopped too large.
This salad can be eaten on its own as a main dish or can be a side to any of your other favourite Ghanaian meals such as Ghanaian Grilled Chicken or Ghanaian Grilled Tilapia! Without further ado, here’s the recipe:
Nourishing Ghana Salad with Garlic Yogurt Dressing
- 2 large tomatoes
- 4 large handfuls of lettuce
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 lemon
- 4 boiled eggs
Garlic Yogurt Dressing
- 4 tbsp unsweetened, natural Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
- A pinch of black pepper
- Boil your eggs.
- Chop up your lettuce and cucumber and assemble in your salad dish.
- Chop you red onion and tomato into small pieces . Mix in a bowl to create an "almost salsa" and add to your salad dish.
- Slice your avocado and add as well as your cooked boiled eggs.
- Mix all your dressing ingredients together and drizzle over your salad! Enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Join the Best Body Movement to me notified of more recipes!
No comment yet, add your voice below!